The outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19) has shocked and touched the hearts of millions of people, not only in China but also around the world. Messages of support have been flowing in from around the globe, demonstrating that sometimes a crisis like this can bring the world together. It is of critical importance that all community members take their health and safety seriously at this time. In order to ensure that our campus is safe and ready for our pupils’ return to school, when allowed, we have acted decisively to undertake key measures to protect our community members. Among other things, with the ongoing spread of the epidemic, the school has set up an emergency team for coordinating epidemic prevention, paying close attention to the development of the epidemic and strictly complying with the requirements of relevant state health departments. Taking all advice on board, we have put plans in place to ensure the safety of the school community and to protect the health of our pupils and staff.
- Provide timely statistics on the health status and travel status of all pupils, faculty and staff and on-site vendor employees, to check and distinguish similar symptoms and follow up on the address and returning date of those pupils and staff who are not in Hangzhou. Check on the status of Hangzhou Health Code of the people mentioned above.
- Ensure the smooth communication from the school, and send timely updates and information to staff and parents in our community.
- Implement a campus emergency plan immediately after the provisional administration issued Level 1 emergency status, close the campus and follow campus closure regulations. Prohibit all individuals to enter the campus except authorised and screened campus staff.
- Purchase required medical supplies for virus prevention. Purchase and install an infrared thermometer system at each security hut for temperature screening.
- Follow CDC’s recommendation for the AC use in public spaces and draft a campus wide AC operation plan, including the overall disinfection for the AC and Fresh Air system, and a weekly vent disinfection plan.
- Clean and disinfect the campus completely and draft plans for the daily campus cleaning and disinfection based on recommendation from the Zhejiang Education Bureau.
- Discuss internally the information collected and researched and make a thorough preparation for the school re-opening and virus prevention plan once pupils are back at school, including preparing logistically and mentally for pupils and staff to be back at campus.
As before, the best advice is to protect oneself from the virus by adopting these straightforward means:
- Wear a mask in public places
- Wash hands regularly
- Avoid anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms
- Cover the nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing
- Thoroughly cook meat and eggs
- Avoid unprotected contact with live wild or farm animals
- Avoid unnecessary travel to Wuhan or Hubei province
In the meantime, we wish all of our community members the best during this trying time. Take care of your health and safety. We look forward to seeing you all in school as soon as possible.